Thursday 4 July 2019

Open Up And Croon (1995) - Glide


Okay, back to blog... and I have lots and lots of stuff to upload! Including everything that I promised previously. Here's the debut album from Glide.

Lots of interesting guitar tones and incredibly tuneful in parts. A bit brit-poppy, but done well. In some ways they remind me of Ripe, but with less Jesus and Mary Chain and more James, but that might just be Will Arthur's vocals. I'm just trying to reacquaint myself with this album as I'm writing this. I remember driving through Prahran listening to it on a sunny morning on my way to buy coffee and thinking that it was good.

Sadly, lead singer Will Arthur passed away in 1999. There are plenty of retrospectives here, here, here and here. See a meditation here. Interview with Jason Kingshott here.

I encourage you to download the album and Glide's other offerings from Apple Music, where you can enjoy them in high quality.

I wasn't able to find any specific mentions of Glide in the Internet Archive, which is a little odd, you'd have thought thay'd have had an online presence. If I dredge anything up I'll link to it.

I stole the album art from discogs this time. I usually take pride in scanning my own high-res copies, but I'm far from my scanner and it's sitting beneath a pile of junk anyhow...

1. Open Up And Croon        3:32
2. Why You Asking?        3:41
3. Something        4:47
4. Line        2:54
5. Pitch And Sway        4:25
6. He Sees A Way        3:15
7. Dead Weight Beauty        2:20
8. Spin Doctor        3:46
9. Caterwaul        4:39
10. Spit You Up        2:49
11. Tripped Up And Stalled        3:16
12. Pricking At Your Paws        4:40

Open Up And Croon (1995) - Glide

No comments:

Post a Comment