Sunday 31 July 2016

Rubbing All The Right People Up The Wrong Way - Again (1998) - Various Artists


I THINK this is a Shock Records comp from 1998, there's nothing on the cover to suggest otherwise. Incidentally, the cover appears to be a 12" square poster that you need to fold out to get the track listing. I assume this is a sequel to an existing comp, which I have yet to track down.

In between the sludgy prog and doom (not my kind of thing, but you might like it) there are a few gems that stand out; the buzzsaw of Cosmic Psychos' 'Guns Away' (a tale of suburban obssession?), MYC's memorable 'Know Something' (a staple of late 90s Melbourne punk), some Frenzal (always welcome), the upbeat skate punk of H-Block (sadly poorly documented - isn't there supposed to be a 101 in there? More stuff here. UPDATE: There's a bandcamp!) and Crettins Puddle (who will surely get there own feature on here at some point, they keep cropping up in my research).

Also worth a mention, Nancy Vandal (who from what I can tell dominated with their ska/rockabilly punk around the time, and I think did a reunion not long ago) and Budd, who I still need to dive into (they're still semi-active and pulled off the Albini-isms better than Ricaine did in my opinion, from what I've heard, WEDGES of noise).

Some tracks, like the Intoxica track, are downright greasy and don't quite sit right. Also 'Sadistik Exekution'? There are a few parts of the 90s I tend to gloss over.

The intro to Downtime's 'Monkey' is heavenly. Shame it doesn't quite correspond to the rest of the song (I was really hoping for pseudo-Knapsack territory for a second).

This came from a record swapmeet I went to and bought up every cheap Australian-produced CD I could find from the 90s in hopes that I'd uncover another Sandpit, but no such luck. In fact, some of the ones I picked up were pretty crap. These will be uploaded in due course.

I also highly recommend driving around Bayswater and Croydon blasting this in a '92 Ford Laser on a hot summer's day, which is what I did about half a year ago looking for crap drains.

1. Falling Short        2:16    Toe To Toe
2. Know Something        2:44    Mid Youth Crisis
3. Heat        2:13    Mindsnare
4. Karma        4:03    Superheist
5. Monkey        3:47    Downtime
6. Mum's Changed The Locks        1:57    Frenzal Rhomb
7. Legalised TV Violence        2:28    H-Block
8. Vodka & Lime        2:40    Crettins Puddle
9. Rock & Roll Concert        2:01    Nancy Vandal
10. Pulse        3:04    Front End Loader
11. Hot Rod Chick        3:15    Intoxica
12. Guns Away        3:30    Cosmic Psychos
13. Golden Cow        2:53    Horse Head
14. Kneecap        2:39    Budd
15. Johnny The Song        4:07    Beanflipper
16. Spiritual Justice        3:47    Abramelin
17. Road To Ubar        5:37    The Alchemist
18. Sadistik Elektrokution        3:47    Sadistik Exekution

Rubbing All The Right People Up The Wrong Way (1998) - Various Artists

No comments:

Post a Comment