Wednesday 27 July 2016

Archive Treasure: 'The Site Formerly Known As Scenestar'

Something that I spend long, long nights doing is digging up primary sources such as these, through the Internet Archive.

The site, created by Matt Atlee, age 17 (!), presumably in the Box Hill High computer lab, started as an online presence for Scenestar (which I mentioned in my first post) but soon became a more sprawling collection of local scene info, with (all-ages) gig listings, links to band pages and zines. Special highlights include a mention of Fugazi's 1997 Australian tour, with S:Bahn and One Inch Punch supporting an all ages show at the Lava Lounge. It's also a reminder of how personal web pages could be in that era, Matt's personal page an example of Web 1.0 earnestness.

These kinds of sites are vital for my kind of research, as there is no Google-like time-specfic search capability in the archive (as far as I can tell). The only way to find info is to jump form archived page to archived page, digging through the archives.

I've started bookmarking a fair few of these pages, particularly ones that serve as 'jump points' for others. I hope to paste a few of them over the course of this blog.

The number of comps mentioned on the news page... I'll need to trawl through these...

Update: lots of links on this latterly archived page.

No comments:

Post a Comment