Monday 15 August 2016

In Search Of Charm (1998) - Angler


Post-rock in the age of Regurgitator. Breaking up the grungy echoed guitars are washes of buzzsaw synth, the occasional arpeggiated gurgle and other verbal attempts of music critics to appear theoretically credible. The first three tracks are somewhat more contemplative than what comes next. 'G-Force' is a short gurge-esque rocker breaking up the affair, whereas the subsequent '3-Stripe Babe' has a few more of those echoey wavetable synths to play around. With the tremolo and Morricone-synth-whoosh on some tracks I think the label 'desert rock' is far more applicable here than applied to 2 Litre Dolby, with whom they didn't share space with on the Wonder From A Quarter Acre comp and instead appeared on the later Musikal Identikit.

Information on the group is scarce, though I'll enter it here as I scrounge it.

I found this particular disc at the Rowville Salvos around the same time I picked up the Suburban Superheroes comp I posted not long ago. There are no album credits to be found anywhere on the back or within the CD inlay, making tracing the band difficult. I've so far turned up a single album from the group (1999's 'Lonesome High', also apparently self-released). If I can obtain a copy of this, I'll upload it in due course.

In Search Of Charm (1998) - Angler

No comments:

Post a Comment